HISTORY OF THE TOWN
Rypin is one of the oldest Polish towns. The first mention of it appeared as early as in 1065 AD and municipal rights were received in 1345 AD.
Over its thousand-year history, the city has witnessed many invasions and wars (the Baltic tribes, the Teutonic Knights, Swedish Deluge), and periods of ruins and territorial affiliation changes were interspersed with periods of Rypin’s growth and its expansion. Around the fourteenth century the town was surrounded by fortified walls and, also, there was a castle destroyed presumably during the Thirteen Years' War.
At the end of the sixteenth century, the city had a population of about 900 residents, contained three churches and it continued to develop until the devastating Swedish conquest of the seventeenth century. A very important factor contributing to the town’s revival and development in the eighteenth was the settlement of Jews who rapidly advanced local economy.
After the loss of independence by Poland in 1793 and during the subsequent, over centennial Polish partition, Rypin was by greater time under the rule of the Tsarist Russia. After the collapse of the Russian, German and Austro-Hungarian Empires after the World War I, Poland became an independent republic and Rypin also witnessed the recovery of Polish statehood and local authorities. Following this, the interwar period was the heyday of Rypin. Among the most significant interwar projects and investments one can list the erection of a hospital, schools, a municipal stadium, banks and cooperatives. An important feature was the town’s multiculturalism depicted by the temples of four co-existing in Rypin denominations: the Catholic Church, Lutheran Church, an Orthodox church and a synagogue.
World War II was a dramatic period in the history of the town and its inhabitants. Rypin suffered harshly from bombings and the extermination of hundreds of the town’s inhabitants, including its intellectual elite – officials, priests, teachers and administrative staff.
The post war period is the time when one of the major investment was the opening of our school. An important event was the designation of the second parish and building of a new church, consecrated in 1990. The collapse of communism and the renewal of local government created new opportunities for the development of the town.
Rypin is now the capital of the county and the current major investments are the building of the Rypin’s Sports Centre, gasification development and the local development strategy includes plans for the town becoming a local agricultural service centre and taking advantage of the natural and tourist values.
nr 2 im. Unii Europejskiej w Rypinie
ul. Dworcowa 11,
kontakt tel. (54) 280 3161